Apologies in advance…
From time to time I try to develop some sort of Grand Unified Theory on why I like some things but not others (for simplicity’s sake, I’m restricting this theory to my tastes in entertainment/information media). Obivously, I have my thoughts on why I like and dislike certain things, but explaining them would make one very long blog post (it’s still something I’m considering writing about down the road anyway).
For your consideration, I present a broadly categorized and poorly defined list.
Things I voraciously consume, if given the opportunity:
- Newspapers/news Web sites
- The History Channel
- Video games (I purposely limit the amount of gaming I do)
- TV/film comedies (I marginally prefer the clever over the plain stupid)
Things I am mostly indifferent to and do not seek out, but generally enjoyed if happened upon:
- Action/thriller movies
- Fiction literature
Things I generally do not enjoy (although each item has exception(s) that prove the rule):
- (Dramatic) science fiction and fantasy TV/movies
- Anime (generally restricted to anything that has appeared on Adult Swim)
- Country music
Examples of specific things that bother me:
- American Beauty (I do recognize that it is a good movie; I have no desire to ever watch it again)
- Tuesdays with Morrie (I quit reading it halfway through)
Feel free to post your own theories; the shorter and more vicious you can make them, the better. Finally, there’s Super Happy Bonus Points to be had if you can guess what caused me to create this post in the first place.